The neighborhood of Hatagaya lies in the northwestern section of Shibuya Ward. Similar to the surrounding neighborhoods like Hatsudai and Sasazuka, Hatagaya is also a very popular neighborhood for commuters looking to stay close to Shinjuku. Located to the west of Shinjuku’s busy and dense commercial district, residents will find it very easy to head into downtown Shinjuku for commuting or exploring Tokyo’s nightlife. Apartment seekers looking for a calm neighborhood with great access to downtown Tokyo should give Hatagaya a close look.
Average Rent in Hatagaya
|Apartment Type||Average Rent ($1 = ¥110)|
|1R 1K||¥90,400/month ($820)|
|1LDK 2K 2DK||¥168,200/month ($1,530)|
|2LDK 3K 3DK||¥235,400/month ($2,140)|
|Keio||Keio New Line|
|Shinjuku||Keio New Line, direct||4 min|
|Shibuya||Keio New Line (Shinjuku), transfer to Yamanote||18 min|
|Tokyo||Keio New Line (Shinjuku), transfer to Chuo||28 min|
|Shinagawa||Keio New Line (Shinjuku), transfer to Yamanote||31 min|
|Roppongi||Keio New Line (Shinjuku), transfer to Oedo||17 min|
|Yokohama, Kanagawa||Keio New Line (Shinjuku), transfer to Shonan-Shinjuku||43 min|
As there isn’t any particular touristy destination in Hatagaya, it is a very convenient neighborhood close to Shinjuku without feeling as packed or dense as downtown areas. Livability of the area is increased thanks to 24 hour supermarkets in the neighborhood. Residents also espouse the safety of the area, mentioning that it’s an ideal location for families and single women.
Stretches of pedestrian paths in the area like Nishihara 1-chome Park and Shibuya Kuritsu Nishiharamidorido Park give residents a way to navigate through the neighborhood at a leisurely pace. In addition, these paths are lined with trees, providing some much appreciated greenery in the neighborhood.
North of Hatagaya Station is where you’ll find the majority of shops and restaurants in the neighborhood. In contrast, the southern section of Hatagaya is very residential and there are many family homes here. South of Hatagaya Station is also Nishihara Street, a small shopping street where residents can find daily necessities.
Apartments for rent near Hatagaya Station:
- Hatsudai Station apartments
- Sasazuka Station apartments
- Yoyogi-hachiman Station apartments
- Higashi-kitazawa Station apartments
- Nakanoshimbashi Station apartments
Check out Hatagaya if you’re on the look for a very convenient and livable neighborhood close to Shinjuku. Hatagaya ranks particularly high in terms of safety, which can be a very comforting factor in choosing where to live in Tokyo. Use the search tools on our website to browse listings in Hatagaya to find the apartment that’s right for you! For example, you can find comfy 1LDK apartments in Hatagaya for around ¥100,000 per month!
Where should you live in Tokyo? Check out our Japan Area Guides to find the perfect place!
Lead photo: jun560 via Flickr
- Shibuya is one of Tokyo’s central six wards and is home to some of the city’s most upscale commercial and residential districts, including Daikanyama, Ebisu, Harajuku, Hiroo, Omotesando, Sendagaya, and Yoyogi. Shibuya also refers to the commercial district surrounding Shibuya Station, one of Tokyo’s major hub stations. The area around the station is world-renowned for being a center for youth culture, fashion, and nightlife. Shibuya Scramble, an intersection located in front of Shibuya Station is sometimes compared to New York’s Time Square for its flood of pedestrian traffic and massive TV screens overlooking the crossing. Read the Shibuya Ward Area Guide here for more info!