Mizonokuchi is a neighborhood in Kawasaki City, Kanagawa. It is located south of Setagaya Ward, and is directly connected to downtown Shibuya via the Denentoshi Line. This easy access to Tokyo makes this area particularly friendly for commuters looking for a more local (read: affordable) vibe. Kawasaki City itself spans a large area, stretching from the Tokyo Bay in the east, all the way to the Tama Hills to the west (south of Chofu City and Fuchu City in Tokyo). Fun fact: Kawasaki City is home to the Fujiko F Fujio Museum, a museum dedicated to the work of the creator of the widely popular Doraemon character.
Average Rent in Mizonokuchi
|Apartment Type||Average Rent ($1 = ¥110)|
|1R 1K||¥78,900/month ($1,120)|
|1LDK 2K 2DK||¥103,300/month ($1,740)|
|2LDK 3K 3DK||¥128,300/month ($2,180)|
*Access to the JR East Nambu Line is through Musashi-Mizonokuchi Station, a 50 m walk from Mizonokuchi Station.
|Shinjuku||Denentoshi (Shibuya), transfer to Yamanote||30 min|
|Shibuya||Denentoshi, direct||15 min|
|Futako-Tamagawa||Denentoshi, direct||2 min|
|Tokyo||Oimachi (Oimachi), transfer to Keihin-Tohoku||42 min|
|Shinagawa||Oimachi (Oimachi), transfer to Keihin-Tohoku||28 min|
|Roppongi||Oimachi (Jiyugaoka), transfer to Toyoko (Naka-Meguro), transfer to Hibiya||34 min|
|Yokohama, Kanagawa||Oimachi (Jiyugaokoa), transfer to Toyoko||36 min|
Mizonokuchi has a reputation for being slightly worn-down and grimy, but most of that image is the Mizonokuchi of the past. Today, Mizonokuchi is a livable, comfortable neighborhood located on the Denentoshi Line for easy access to Futako-Tamagawa and Shibuya. With stores like Don Quijote, Tokyu, Ito Yokado, and Bunkyodo near the station, Mizonokuchi offers a lot in terms of convenience and livability.
To the east of the station you’ll find a Marui department store and a few other modern and stylish shops. At the west end of the station there are more local izakayas, giving this side an older, dated feel. That being said, this distinct duality to the area makes for an interesting neighborhood.
Apartments for rent near Mizonokuchi Station:
- Musashi-Mizonokuchi Station apartments
- Takatsu Station apartments
- Tsudayama Station apartments
- Kajigaya Station apartments
- Futako-Shinchi Station apartments
Mizonokuchi offers residents a balanced neighborhood that’s great for both families and single apartment seekers. If you’re on a budget and looking for an affordable yet convenient neighborhood, 1R studio apartments in Mizonokuchi start at around ¥50,000 per month.
Where should you live in Tokyo? Check out our Japan Area Guides to find the perfect place!
Lead photo: Toshihiro Gamo via Flickr
- Futako-Tamagawa is located in Setagaya Ward, in southwestern Tokyo on the banks of the Tama River. It has enjoyed a surge in popularity as a residential neighborhood in the last few years, especially since the opening of the Futako-Tamagwa RISE residential and commercial complex in 2015. There are many reasons why this area ranks highly as a residential neighborhood: proximity to natural areas near the Tama River, the urban conveniences of the RISE development, and easy access to central Tokyo. Read the in-depth guide to Futako-Tamagawa here!