Nerima Ward is located at the northwest of the 23 special wards of Tokyo. There isn’t any of the glitz and glamor of Shinjuku or Ginza in this ward, which means it’s quite calm, quiet, and affordable. It’s only a 10-minute train ride from Nerima Station to Ikebukuro Station, a major transit hub and city-in-a-city in northwest Tokyo.
Nerima has the second highest population of any of the 23 wards of Tokyo (it is second only to Setagaya Ward), highlighting its popularity as a residential ward. The city of Nishi Tokyo borders it to the west and Musashino to the south; these are both major bedroom communities in western Tokyo.
- Nerima quick facts
- Main residential neighborhoods
- Nerima ranks high for
- Who lives in Nerima Ward?
- Popular housing searches in Nerima Ward
- Location and highlights
Nerima quick facts
- Population: 732,433 (as of January 1, 2019)
- Area: 48.08 km²
- Density: 15,233 (/km²)
- Population of foreign residents: 19,653 (2.7% of total population of Nerima)
- About 4.2% of the total resident foreigner population of the Tokyo 23 Wards lives in Nerima.
Major Train Stations
|Nerima||Toei Oedo Line|
|Seibu Ikebukuro Line|
|Seibu Toshima Line|
|Seibu Yurakucho Line|
|Tobu-Nerima||Tobu Tojo Line|
|Kami-Shakuji||Seibu Shinjuku Line|
|Chikatetsu-Narimasu||Tokyo Metro Fukutoshin Line|
|Tokyo Metro Yurakucho Line|
Main residential neighborhoods
Nerima ranks high for
- Low cost of living.
- Easy commute to Ikebukuro Station.
- Family friendly, with many green spaces.
Who lives in Nerima Ward?
- Those taking advantage of affordable rent and livability while still being located on the Toei Oedo Line (access to Shinjuku and Roppongi for commuting).
- Researchers working at nearby RIKEN Brain Institute.
Popular housing searches in Nerima Ward
- Furnished apartments in Nerima (for students or those pursuing research in Japan)
Location and highlights
Notable sights include the Chihiro Art Museum and Hikarigaoka Park. The Chihiro Art Museum exhibits children’s illustrations by Chihiro Iwasaki and various artists.
The residential feel and relatively low cost of living are Nerima’s main selling points. Nerima Ward has a reputation for having an abundance of agricultural fields despite being within the boundaries of the 23 special wards of Tokyo. This is the root of the rumor that Nerima’s air and water quality are the best among the 23 wards. For those who enjoy coming home to something a bit more relaxed compared to the busy city centers like Shinjuku and Shibuya, this might prove to be the ticket.
Aoba Japan International School is located in the Hikarigaoka neighborhood of Nerima.
Lead photo: Takayuki Miki via Flickr