Ochiai is a neighborhood in the eastern edge of Nakano Ward. This places it between the larger (and recognizable) neighborhoods of Nakano and Takadanobaba. While this neighborhood might not have the same appeal as its peers, it provides a quieter, calmer neighborhood within a stone’s throw from bustling shopping areas. The calmness of the area, combined with the proximity to larger stations, makes this area particularly popular with families. In fact, you’ll find a handful of high-class apartment complexes around Ochiai Station.
Average Rent in Ochiai
|Apartment Type||Average Rent ($1 = ¥110)|
|1R 1K||¥85,500/month ($780)|
|1LDK 2K 2DK||¥140,900/month ($1,280)|
|2LDK 3K 3DK||¥216,400/month ($1,970)|
|Shinjuku||Tozai (Nakano), transfer to Chuo||11 min|
|Shibuya||Tozai (Takadanobaba), transfer to Yamanote||22 min|
|Tokyo (Otemachi)||Tozai, direct||18 min|
|Shinagawa||Tozai (Takadanobaba), transfer to Yamanote||34 min|
|Roppongi||Tozai (Takadanobaba), transfer to Yamanote (Yoyogi), transfer to Oedo||29 min|
|Yokohama, Kanagawa||Tozai (Nihombashi), transfer to Asakusa, subway continues on Keikyu Main Line||59 min|
While Nakano Station might be the premiere destination for folks checking out the entertainment and dining options of Nakano Ward, Ochiai provides residents with a much more demure atmosphere compared to the hectic crowds in Nakano (and Takadanobaba). The residential vibe keeps things quiet, but this also means there is a noticeable lack of restaurants and shops in the area. Thankfully, residents are a quick train ride (or bike ride) away from larger stations where to get their fill of shopping.
From Ochiai Station it’s possible to walk to a few other train lines, increasing the total transportation options available. A five minute walk north will bring you to Nakai Station (Oedo subway line, Seibu Shinjuku Line), and a five minute walk south will bring you to Higashi-Nakano Station (Oedo subway line, Chuo Line, Chuo-Sobu Line).
Apartments for rent near Ochiai Station:
- Nakai Station apartments
- Higashi-Nakano Station apartments
- Nakano Station apartments
- Takadanobaba Station apartments
- Shimo-ochiai Station apartments
- Okubo Station apartments
- Shin-Okubo Station apartments
Ochiai is nestled between a few notable stations with many shopping and dining options. This helps give residents a balance when it comes to livability in the area.
Where should you live in Tokyo? Check out our Japan Area Guides to find the perfect place!
- Takadanobaba exists as a melting pot of two distinct communities: it’s a commuter’s hub for those in west Tokyo coming in on either the Seibu Shinjuku or Tozai (and Chuo-Sobu) Lines and a college town (anchored by Waseda University). This eclectic combination of populations gives the area a unique feel and energy, especially due to the large number of cheap bars and restaurants that you can find. Read the in-depth guide to Takadanobaba here!