Shinjuku is the name of a ward, neighborhood, and not just one but numerous train stations in Tokyo. For good reason, most tourist guides focus on JR Shinjuku Station, the granddaddy of all train stations in Japan.
In 2016, an average of 3.37 million passengers passed through JR Shinjuku Station, making it the busiest train station in the world. If you add in the number of people using the underground passages connecting JR Shinjuku to the web of adjacent stations, the number comes to about 3.71 million, which is equivalent to the population of Yokohama City.
In this guide, we focus on the residential neighborhoods surrounding the greater Shinjuku area. With JR Shinjuku Station at the center, the main residential areas clockwise around the station are:
- North: Okubo — Tokyo’s most well-known Korea Town
- Northeast: Kabukicho — Gritty, touristy, nightlife
- East: Shinjuku San-Chome — Mid- to high-end residential
- Southeast: Shinjuku Gyoen — Bordering Shinjuku National Garden to the north — Desirable, relaxed, high-end
- Southeast: Sendagaya — Bordering Shinjuku National Garden to the south — Artsy, cultural, Olympic Stadium
- South: Yoyogi – Yoyogi Park, high-end residential, very popular with western expats, family-friendly
- West: Nishi Shinjuku – Tokyo’s skyscraper district, Shinjuku as presented in “Lost in Translation”
- Key Stats
- Orientation Around the Station
- Useful Info at a Glance
- Shinjuku Apartments
Average Rent near JR Shinjuku Station
|Apartment Type||Average Rent ($1 = ¥110)|
|1R 1K||¥116,000/month ($1,050)|
|1LDK 2K 2DK||¥186,900/month ($1,700)|
|2LDK 3K 3DK||¥279,000/month ($2,540)|
|JR East||Chuo Line (Rapid)|
|JR East||Chuo-Sobu Line (Local)|
|Keio||Keio New Line|
|Shibuya||Yamanote, direct||7 min|
|Tokyo||Chuo Line (Rapid), direct||14 min|
|Shinagawa||Yamanote, direct||19 min|
|Roppongi||Oedo, direct||9 min|
|Yokohama, Kanagawa||Shonan-Shinjuku, direct||29 min|
Orientation Around the Station
Which Shinjuku Station?
There are seven separate railway systems that operate trains stopping in the vicinity of Shinjuku and at least thirteen stations located in what could be considered the greater Shinjuku station area.
If you are a tourist or in Tokyo for a temporary work assignment, click here for Short term apartments in Shinjuku.
Long-term Apartments in Shinjuku: If you are looking for an apartment in the Shinjuku area for the longer term, it’s good to know the distinctions between the various lines and which “Shinjuku Station” you want to live near to minimize your commute time and the number of transfers you need to make.
- JR East: Shinjuku Station
- Is on the following lines: Chuo (Rapid), Chuo-Sobu , Saikyo Line, Shonan-Shinjuku Line, Yamanote
- Residential vibe: Super convenient, super crowded
- Keio Line: Shinjuku Station
- Odakyu Odawara Line: Shinjuku Station
- Shinjuku is the northern terminus of the Odakyu Odawara Line
- The Odakyu Odawara line will take you south through the posh neighborhoods of Shibuya and Setagaya Wards and onward to the hot springs resort towns of Kanagawa prefecture.
- Residential vibe: Outside of Tokyo, stations along the Odakyu Odawara line are suburban and relaxed
- Seibu Shinjuku Line: Seibu-Shinjuku Station
- Located north of JR East Shinjuku Station.
- About a 10-min walk to the JR East platforms.
- This is the eastern terminus of the Seibu-Shinjuku line.
- Residential vibe: Student-friendly (Takdanobaba Station), working class, budget-friendly
- Toei Oedo Line: Tochomae, Shinjuku Nishiguchi, Higashi Shinjuku
- Located in Nishi (West) Shinjuku. This station is in the heart of the skyscraper district.
- Residential vibe: Nishi Shinjuku is a concrete jungle, populated by white-collar workers in high-rise buildings
- Toei Shinjuku Line: Shinjuku, Shinjuku San-Chome
- Located in Nishi (West) Shinjuku, southwest of the JR East Shinjuku Station building.
- Shinjuku is the western terminus of the Toei Shinjuku line.
- Residential vibe: The Toei Shinjuku line runs the gamut of residential neighborhoods. Shinjuku is, of course, very central and commercial. The line first runs through the high-end neighborhoods of Shinjuku and Chiyoda Wards, then the working-class areas in the northern Tokyo Wards, and terminates at Motoyawata in Chiba prefecture.
- Tokyo Metro Marunouchi Line: Nishi Shinjuku, Shinjuku, Shinjuku Sanchome, Shinjuku Gyoenmae
- Residential vibe: Suburban in the western stations, very urban once the line loops through Shinjuku. The main Marunouchi line goes from the western suburbs of Ogikubo in Suginami Ward through the popular neighbors of Koenji and Nakano, through to Shinjuku and then roughly in a clockwise route through Tokyo’s main hub stations.
Main residential areas
The main residential neighborhoods in the greater Shinjuku area can be roughly categorized into five categories:
- North and northeast: Convenient, urban, commercial, a bit gritty in Kabukicho
- East: White-collar, mid- to high-end residential
- Southeast: High-end, highly desirable, relaxed living near spacious Shinjuku National Garden
- South: High-end urban residential, further south is expat-friendly Yoyogi
- West: The Skyscraper District. Very urban, white-collar, high-rise living
Useful Info at a Glance
|Ito Yokado||10:00 AM – 11:00 PM||17-2 Tomihisacho, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 162-0067|
|Maruetsu||24 hrs||6 Chome-27-29 Shinjuku, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 160-0022|
|Marushō Wakaba shop||Mon. – Fri.: 10:00 AM – 10:00 PM
Sat.: 10:00 AM – 9:00 PM
Sun.: 8:30 AM – 9:00 PM
|2-12 Wakaba, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 160-0011|
|Kitchen Court||10:00 AM – 11:00 PM||11-1 Tansumachi, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 162-0833|
|Kagurazaka KIMURAYA||9:00 AM – 12:00 AM||6 Chome-50 Kagurazaka, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 162-0825|
|Ito Yokado Waseda||10:00 AM – 11:00 PM||74番 Wasedamachi, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 162-0042|
|Peacock Takadanobaba||9:00 AM – 11:00 PM||1 Chome-28-7 Takadanobaba, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 169-0075|
*This is just a selection of supermarkets in the area.
|Anytime Fitness Nishi-Shinjuku||24 hrs||8 Chome-16-2 Nishishinjuku, 新宿区 Shinjuku City, Tokyo 160-0023|
|JOYFIT24 Yotsuya||24 hrs||〒160-0004 Tokyo, Shinjuku City, 四谷２丁目１１−６ FORECAST四谷 2階|
|Anytime Fitness Kagurazaka||24 hrs||43-1 Enokicho, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 162-0806|
|JOY FIT Nishiwaseda||24 hrs||〒169-0075 Tokyo, Shinjuku City, Takadanobaba, 1 Chome−1−13 セントエルモ西早稲田2F|
*These are just examples of gyms available in the area.
|Waseda University||Waseda University Home Page|
|Tokyo Fuji University||Tokyo Fuji University Home Page|
|Tokyo Women’s Medical University||Tokyo Women’s Medical University Home Page|
|Chuo University Law School||Chuo University Law School Home Page|
|Nearby Language Schools||Information||Address|
|Arc Academy||Arc Academy Home Page||〒160-0023 Tokyo, Shinjuku City, Nishishinjuku, 7 Chome−18−16 東信西新宿ビル|
|Tokyo International Japanese School||Tokyo International Japanese School Home Page||2 Chome-13-6 Shinjuku, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 160-0022|
|Tokyo Central Japanese Language School||Tokyo Central Japanese Language School Home Page||〒160-0016 Tokyo, Shinjuku City, 信濃町34 トーシン信濃町駅前ビル 4・5・6階|
|System Tōyō Gaigo Japanese Language School||System Tōyō Gaigo Japanese Language School Home Page||3 Chome-11 Ichigayatamachi, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 162-0843|
|Yoshida Institute of Japanese Language||Yoshida Institute of Japanese Language Home Page||1 Chome-23-14 Nishiwaseda, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 169-0051|
|Hotsuma International School Tokyo||Hotsuma International School Tokyo Home Page||4 Chome-30-19 Takadanobaba, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 169-0075|
|MIDREAM NIHONGO CHANNEL||MIDREAM NIHONGO CHANNEL Home Page||2 Chome-7-11 Hyakunincho, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 169-0073|
*These are just examples of language schools in the area.
Ward Office, Police
|Nearby Community Center/City Hall/Police Station||Hours||Address|
|Shinjuku City Office Main Building||Mon., Wed., Thu., Fri.: 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM
Tue.: 8:30 AM – 7:00 PM
Sat. – Sun.: Closed
|1 Chome-4-1 Kabukicho, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 160-8484|
|Shinjuku Police Station||Mon. – Fri.: 8:30 AM – 5:15 PM
Sat. – Sun.: Closed
|6 Chome-1-1 Nishishinjuku, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 160-0023|
|Shinjuku city Yotsuya Library||Mon., Wed., Thu., Fri., Sat.: 9:00 AM – 9:45 PM
Sun.: 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM
|87 Naitomachi, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 160-0014|
|JR Tokyo General Hospital||2 Chome-1-3 Yoyogi, Shibuya City, Tokyo 151-8528|
|Tokyo Medical University Hospital||6 Chome-7-1 Nishishinjuku, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 160-0023|
|Tokyo Yamate Medical Center||3 Chome-22-1 Hyakunincho, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 169-0073|
|Seibo Hospital||2 Chome-5-1 Nakaochiai, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 161-8521|
|Keio University Hospital||35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 160-8582|
*These are examples of clinics in the area.
|Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden||11 Naitomachi, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 160-0014|
|Shinjuku Chuo Park||2 Chome-11 Nishishinjuku, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 160-0023|
|Toyama Park||3 Chome-5 Okubo, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 169-0072|
|Ochiai Central Park Baseball Field & Tennis Courts||1 Chome-2 Kamiochiai, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 161-0034|
|Otomeyama Park||2 Chome-10 Shimoochiai, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 161-0033|
|Kansen-en Park||3 Chome-5 Nishiwaseda, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 169-0051|
|Ōkuma Garden||1 Chome-104 Totsukamachi, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 169-8050|
|Tomihisa Sakura Park||21 Tomihisacho, 新宿区 Shinjuku City, Tokyo 162-0067|
|Nearby Family Friendly Features||Address|
|Nishi-Shinjuku Children Hall||4 Chome-35-28 Nishishinjuku, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 160-0023|
|Shinjuku Ward Yotsuya Children Hall||2 Chome-6 Yotsuya, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 160-0004|
|Bentencho kids centre||36 Enokicho, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 162-0806|
|Takadanobaba 2nd Children Hall||1 Chome-4-17 Takadanobaba, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 169-0075|
|Takadanobaba Children Hall 1||3 Chome-18-21 Takadanobaba, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 169-0075|
|Nearby Department Stores||Information||Address|
|Odakyu Department Store Shinjuku||Odakyu Department Store Shinjuku Home Page||1 Chome-1-3 Nishishinjuku, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 160-8001|
|Keio Department Store Shinjuku||Keio Department Store Shinjuku Home Page||1 Chome-1-4 Nishishinjuku, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 160-8321|
|Shinjuku Marui Main Building||Shinjuku Marui Main Building Home Page||3 Chome-30-13 Shinjuku, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 160-0022|
|NEWoMan Shinjuku||NEWoMan Shinjuku Home Page||4 Chome-1-6 Shinjuku, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 160-0022|
|Takashimaya Shinjuku||Takashimaya Shinjuku Home Page||5 Chome-24-2 Sendagaya, Shibuya City, Tokyo 151-0051|
|Lumine EST Shinjuku||Lumine EST Shinjuku Home Page||3 Chome-38-1 Shinjuku, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 160-0022|
|Isetan Shinjuku||Isetan Shinjuku Home Page||3 Chome-14-1 Shinjuku, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 160-0022|
Apartments for rent near Shinjuku Station:
- Shinjuku Station apartments
- Nishi-Shinjuku Station apartments
- Shin-Okubo Station apartments
- Takadanobaba Station apartments
- Hatsudai Station apartments
- Yoyogi Station apartments
- Higashi-Nakano Station apartments
- Nakano-Sakaue Station apartments
- Yotsuya-sanchome Station apartments
Where should you live in Tokyo? Check out all our Tokyo Area Guides to find the perfect place!
Lead image: iStock 990077474