City Planning Law
- English definition: This is the basic law that regulates zoning standards and sets forth a blueprint for the development of Urban Planning Areas (都市計画区域, としけいかくくいき)
- It’s important to have a general understanding of what the City Planning Law and Urban Planning Areas are, if you are thinking about buying a property and renovating it or buying a piece of land to build a new structure on it.
- This is because one of the things that the City Planning Law regulates is the use of land in areas that have been designated for urban development.
- Land in areas classified for urban development fall within one of twelve Use Zones.
- Exclusively low-rise residential I
- Exclusively low-rise residential II
- Mid- and High-rise residential I
- Mid- and High-rise residential II
- Neighborhood commercial
- Exclusively industrial
- Each Use Zone establishes what kind of development is permitted, building size and density, and other restrictions, including building area, height, and setback. Each of these terms will be explained in detail in separate glossary entries.
- Districts: On top of Use Zones, the land may also lie within one or more Districts or a District Plan enacted by the municipality that allows local governments to strengthen or loosen regulation of how the land is used, building size and height, density, and other measures, such as fire prevention and green space.
- District-level regulations may take precedence over Use Zone restrictions.
Relevant Links and Articles
You may also be interested in:
- Osaka and Kansai Condominium Market Forecast 2019
- Tokyo Condominium Market Forecast 2019
- How to increase your Tokyo Condominium’s Rental Income: With the Elect Serviced Apartment Plan by Morio
- Checklist for renting an apartment in Japan
- Yen mortgage loan calculator: Use this to calculate how much you can afford to buy and borrow
- How big is a six tatami-mat room? See: Guide to Japanese floor plans with photos and kanji
- MLIT’s 2018 Kijin Chika Standard Land Price: Summary and Analysis
- Upfront costs of renting an apartment in Japan
- Avoiding hidden costs when renting an apartment in Japan
- How to sell property in Japan: Is 2019 the time to sell? – January 31, 2019 seminar
- Top 10 Stations for Foreigners Buying Property in Japan – For October, 2018
- Before you rent out your investment property in Japan, here’s what you need to do
- Loans to buy property in Japan from overseas
- List of English Speaking Real Estate Agents in Japan – Searchable list of bilingual and multilingual (Japanese, English, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese) real estate agents in Japan
- Buying your dream home in Japan – Your FAQs answered by a local real estate consultant
- Tokyo real estate – Current for sale listings
- Osaka real estate – Current for sale listings
- Aichi real estate – Current for sale listings
- Hokkaido real estate – Current for sale listings
- Okinawa real estate – Current for sale listings
- Can a foreigner buy property in Japan?
- Guide to Japanese real estate taxes
- How to claim tax deductions when you buy a home in 2019
- Which banks lend to foreigners to buy property in Japan?
Yesterday’s word-of-the-day: What is a 1LDK Apartment?
Lead photo: Tokyo Station area