- English definition: Exclusive floor area
- In a condominium building, this is the floor area of the unit that is owned by each individual unit owner, specifically, the internal floor area of each dwelling unit.
- It’s important to note that balconies, although attached to individual condominium units, are considered common-use areas, and not exclusive use areas, so they are not included in the exclusive floor area measurement. This is why you will sometimes see “for sale” condominiums advertised as having an “exclusive floor area of 60-sqm plus a balcony”. This is to let you know that there is a balcony attached to the apartment but that legally, it is not considered part of the actual exclusive-use area that you would be buying.
- There are two methods of measuring the exclusive floor area: uchi-nori (内法, literally “inner measurement”) and kabe-shin (壁心, literally “wall core”).
- Using the uchi-nori method, the exclusive floor area measurements are taken using the inner dimensions of the actual usable part of the apartment, up to the wall.
- In the kabe-shin method, the measurements are taken from an imaginary line running through the center line of each wall perpendicular to the floor. The kabe-shin method, of course, would result in a larger exclusive floor area.
- For information on what counts as exclusive-use versus common-use areas, in a condominium building, please see: Know your Japanese condominium: Common use versus private areas
Relevant Links and Articles
You may also be interested in:
- Osaka and Kansai Condominium Market Forecast 2019
- Tokyo Condominium Market Forecast 2019
- How to increase your Tokyo Condominium’s Rental Income: With the Elect Serviced Apartment Plan by Morio
- Checklist for renting an apartment in Japan
- Yen mortgage loan calculator: Use this to calculate how much you can afford to buy and borrow
- How big is a six tatami-mat room? See: Guide to Japanese floor plans with photos and kanji
- MLIT’s 2018 Kijin Chika Standard Land Price: Summary and Analysis
- Upfront costs of renting an apartment in Japan
- Avoiding hidden costs when renting an apartment in Japan
- How to sell property in Japan: Is 2019 the time to sell? – January 31, 2019 seminar
- Top 10 Stations for Foreigners Buying Property in Japan – For October, 2018
- Before you rent out your investment property in Japan, here’s what you need to do
- Loans to buy property in Japan from overseas
- List of English Speaking Real Estate Agents in Japan – Searchable list of bilingual and multilingual (Japanese, English, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese) real estate agents in Japan
- Buying your dream home in Japan – Your FAQs answered by a local real estate consultant
- Tokyo real estate – Current for sale listings
- Osaka real estate – Current for sale listings
- Aichi real estate – Current for sale listings
- Hokkaido real estate – Current for sale listings
- Okinawa real estate – Current for sale listings
- Can a foreigner buy property in Japan?
- Guide to Japanese real estate taxes
- How to claim tax deductions when you buy a home in 2019
- Which banks lend to foreigners to buy property in Japan?
Top image: 1BR Apartment for Sale in Meguro