- English definition: An auto lock in an apartment building is an electronic lock usually equipped with an intercom and/or viewing monitor that allows you to buzz visitors from the entrance lobby to the part of the lobby with access to the elevator. An auto lock is considered a desirable amenity because it provides an extra layer of building security.
Good to know
- In a building with an auto lock, you usually need two keys to actually access an apartment unit. One key (either a metal key or electronic key card) to unlock the auto lock and another to unlock the door to the apartment.
- When a friend or delivery person wants to visit your apartment, they have to input your apartment number into the keypad. Depending on how sophisticated your auto lock system is, they’ll be able to talk to you via intercom and/or you’ll be able to see them on the video screen in your apartment unit.
- Newer and higher-end apartment buildings (called “mansion” in Japanese) tend to have auto locks.
- Japan is a very safe country, but if you are especially concerned about safety, you can make this a criteria in your home search.
- On Real Estate Japan, you can check to see whether a property has this feature by checking the Property Description section of the listing.
Visit the link above to take an apartment tour with Ken from the GaijinPot Housing Service.
Relevant Links and Articles
You may also be interested in:
- Checklist for renting an apartment in Japan
- Upfront costs of renting an apartment in Japan
- Avoiding hidden costs when renting an apartment in Japan
- Investing in Tokyo Real Estate – January 17, 2019 seminar for beginners
- How to sell property in Japan: Is 2019 the time to sell? – January 31, 2019 seminar
- Top 10 Stations for Foreigners Buying Property in Japan – For October, 2018
- Before you rent out your investment property in Japan, here’s what you need to do
- Loans to buy property in Japan from overseas
- List of English Speaking Real Estate Agents in Japan – Searchable list of bilingual and multilingual (Japanese, English, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese) real estate agents in Japan
- Buying your dream home in Japan – Your FAQs answered by a local real estate consultant
- Tokyo real estate – Current for sale listings
- Osaka real estate – Current for sale listings
- Aichi real estate – Current for sale listings
- Hokkaido real estate – Current for sale listings
- Okinawa real estate – Current for sale listings
- Can a foreigner buy property in Japan?
- Guide to Japanese real estate taxes
- How to claim tax deductions when you buy a home in 2019
- Which banks lend to foreigners to buy property in Japan?
Browse our comprehensive listings and find your ideal apartment in Tokyo and Japan!