- English definition: Regular lease. In Japan, the standard lease for a rental apartment has a two-year lease term. At the end of each lease term, the tenant has the right to renew a regular lease for another two-year term. However, there may be a lease renewal fee.
- A regular lease can be terminated by the tenant before the lease-term expires with one month’s notice, but there may be a lease termination fee.
- Regular leases cannot easily be terminated by the landlord.
- In contrast, a Fixed-Term Lease (teiki-keiyaku, 定期契約) is a rental lease with a term that is determined by the lessor (landlord). The length of the lease is entirely at the discretion of the landlord and the lessee (tenant) does not have the right to renew the lease, unless explicitly stated in the lease.
- For more information on the advantages and disadvantages of a Fixed-Term Lease from a landlord’s perspective, please see: Your rights as a property owner in Japan to terminate a lease with a tenant
Real Estate Japan‘s word-of-the-day for January 12, 2019
Relevant Links and Articles
You may also be interested in:
- Checklist for renting an apartment in Japan
- Upfront costs of renting an apartment in Japan
- Avoiding hidden costs when renting an apartment in Japan
- Investing in Tokyo Real Estate – January 17, 2019 seminar for beginners
- How to sell property in Japan: Is 2019 the time to sell? – January 31, 2019 seminar
- Top 10 Stations for Foreigners Buying Property in Japan – For October, 2018
- Before you rent out your investment property in Japan, here’s what you need to do
- Loans to buy property in Japan from overseas
- List of English Speaking Real Estate Agents in Japan – Searchable list of bilingual and multilingual (Japanese, English, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese) real estate agents in Japan
- Buying your dream home in Japan – Your FAQs answered by a local real estate consultant
- Tokyo real estate – Current for sale listings
- Osaka real estate – Current for sale listings
- Aichi real estate – Current for sale listings
- Hokkaido real estate – Current for sale listings
- Okinawa real estate – Current for sale listings
- Can a foreigner buy property in Japan?
- Guide to Japanese real estate taxes
- How to claim tax deductions when you buy a home in 2019
- Which banks lend to foreigners to buy property in Japan?
Browse our comprehensive listings and find your ideal apartment in Tokyo and Japan!