- A 2LDK is an apartment with two rooms in addition to a living, dining and kitchen area.
- L stands for “Living”, D stands for “Dining”, K stands for Kitchen”. The number 2 indicates that there is one room in addition to the main living area.
- In Japan, the layout of an apartment is described in terms of how many rooms there are in addition to the main living/dining/kitchen area, not the in terms of the number of bedrooms.
- A 2LDK equivalent to a two-bedroom apartment.
- A 2SLDK is a 2LDK with an extra room (a storage room or service room) that does not officially qualify as a bedroom because it may lack a window, for example.
- Even in 2LDK apartments where there isn’t a service room, you will have actual closets and storage cabinets, which are not common in studio apartments in Japan.
- 2LDK apartments usually have between 40-sqm and 80-sqm of floor space but can be bigger in the case of higher-end apartments.
- The cost of a 2LDK can vary widely depending on where it is located, the floor size, the year it was built, and the floor number, in addition to many other factors, but typically in Tokyo’s 23 wards, you should expect to pay monthly rent of about ¥100,000 to ¥200,000 ($920 to $1,800) for a 2LDK. Units in newly constructed apartments and/or in prime locations will cost much more than ¥200,000 per month.
- You may also be interested in: What is a 1LDK apartment?
Examples of 2LDK Layouts
Relevant Links and Articles
You may also be interested in:
- Osaka and Kansai Condominium Market Forecast 2019
- Tokyo Condominium Market Forecast 2019
- How to increase your Tokyo Condominium’s Rental Income: With the Elect Serviced Apartment Plan by Morio
- Checklist for renting an apartment in Japan
- Yen mortgage loan calculator: Use this to calculate how much you can afford to buy and borrow
- How big is a six tatami-mat room? See: Guide to Japanese floor plans with photos and kanji
- MLIT’s 2018 Kijin Chika Standard Land Price: Summary and Analysis
- Upfront costs of renting an apartment in Japan
- Avoiding hidden costs when renting an apartment in Japan
- How to sell property in Japan: Is 2019 the time to sell? – January 31, 2019 seminar
- Top 10 Stations for Foreigners Buying Property in Japan – For October, 2018
- Before you rent out your investment property in Japan, here’s what you need to do
- Loans to buy property in Japan from overseas
- List of English Speaking Real Estate Agents in Japan – Searchable list of bilingual and multilingual (Japanese, English, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese) real estate agents in Japan
- Buying your dream home in Japan – Your FAQs answered by a local real estate consultant
- Tokyo real estate – Current for sale listings
- Osaka real estate – Current for sale listings
- Aichi real estate – Current for sale listings
- Hokkaido real estate – Current for sale listings
- Okinawa real estate – Current for sale listings
- Can a foreigner buy property in Japan?
- Guide to Japanese real estate taxes
- How to claim tax deductions when you buy a home in 2019
- Which banks lend to foreigners to buy property in Japan?
Yesterday’s word-of-the-day: How do you maximize your selling price when selling a property in Japan? – Hanbai Kakaku – 販売価格 – Asking Price