In this video, Ken Shimizu from Real Estate Japan goes over the Top 8 reasons why it’s so hard for foreigners to rent an apartment in Japan.
- You have to use an agent.
- You need a Japanese bank account.
- You have to have a Japanese (domestic) phone.
- Move-in costs are very high compared to most other countries.
- You have to have a guarantor.
- You may have to pay key money.
- You cannot rent an apartment from overseas.
- Most real estate agents in Japan do not speak English.
You may also be interested in:
The GaijinPot Housing Service will help you deal with a lot of the hassles involved in renting an apartment in Japan. This is a end-to-end bilingual rental housing service for foreigners. You can apply from overseas, and you won’t need a Japanese bank account or guarantor. Learn more here!
Browse our comprehensive listings and find your ideal apartment in Tokyo and Japan!