- English definition: Restoration to original condition
- In Japan, this is the basic standard that landlords hold properties to when a tenant vacates a property.
- By law, the lessee (tenant) is financially responsible for restoring the property to the condition it was in prior to any use where there was:
- Willfully negligent use of the property or
- Imprudent actions leading to damage,
- Except for wear and tear beyond normal daily use.
- As a tenant, you are not responsible for wear and tear that resulted from normal, prudent use of the property. “Restoration to original condition” does not mean that you are responsible for “restoring the property to brand new condition”.
- The landlord is financially responsible for normal wear and tear; the “fee” for wear and tear is considered to be folded into your monthly rent.
- For an in depth explanation of this concept and examples of what counts as “normal wear and tear” please see this article: How to avoid getting into a dispute with your rental deposit
Relevant Links and Articles
You may also be interested in:
- How big is a six tatami-mat room? See: Guide to Japanese floor plans with photos and kanji
- MLIT’s 2018 Kijin Chika Standard Land Price: Summary and Analysis
- Checklist for renting an apartment in Japan
- Upfront costs of renting an apartment in Japan
- Avoiding hidden costs when renting an apartment in Japan
- Investing in Tokyo Real Estate – January 17, 2019 seminar for beginners
- How to sell property in Japan: Is 2019 the time to sell? – January 31, 2019 seminar
- Top 10 Stations for Foreigners Buying Property in Japan – For October, 2018
- Before you rent out your investment property in Japan, here’s what you need to do
- Loans to buy property in Japan from overseas
- List of English Speaking Real Estate Agents in Japan – Searchable list of bilingual and multilingual (Japanese, English, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese) real estate agents in Japan
- Buying your dream home in Japan – Your FAQs answered by a local real estate consultant
- Tokyo real estate – Current for sale listings
- Osaka real estate – Current for sale listings
- Aichi real estate – Current for sale listings
- Hokkaido real estate – Current for sale listings
- Okinawa real estate – Current for sale listings
- Can a foreigner buy property in Japan?
- Guide to Japanese real estate taxes
- How to claim tax deductions when you buy a home in 2019
- Which banks lend to foreigners to buy property in Japan?
Browse our comprehensive listings and find your ideal apartment in Tokyo and Japan!