The average rent for the city of Sapporo is ¥56,841 ($499 USD).
However, average rent varies widely by the size and location of the property, among many other factors.
Average rent in Sapporo by room layout
|Average rent in JPY||¥28,711||¥34,800||¥45,420||¥54,260||¥70,410||¥104,140|
|Average rent in USD||$261||$316||$413||$493||$640||$947|
Main factors affecting how rent is set
There are many factors that affect average rent. Even units in the same building can have different rent, depending on some of the main factors below.
- Size and layout
- Distance from nearest station (measured by number of minutes to walk to station)
- Year built
- Construction material (wood, reinforced concrete, steel-reinforced concrete, steel frame)
- Floor number (the higher the floor, the higher the rent. First-floor apartments are on average less expensive)
- Corner unit (corner units have higher average rent than middle units on the same floor)
- Direction facing (south-facing apartments on average have higher rent)
- Examples include pre-installed A/C unit, auto lock, on-site building manager, garbage room, whether is a balcony and size of balcony, availability of on-site parking, availability of earthquake resistant construction. For very high-end apartments, amenities can include on-site gym, bilingual concierge service, party room, communal observation deck, city views from high floors, and much more.
- Long-term rental apartments in Japan, as a rule, do not come furnished. So the cost of furniture and appliances should also be factored in when you are budgeting your housing costs.
Sapporo – By Average Monthly Rent and Layout
Apartment layouts in Japan are described by the number of rooms + the living/dining/kitchen area, if any.
In the charts below:
- 1R = 1 Room: One room studio apartment. Usually between 13-sqm and 20-sqm in size.
- 1K = K stands for kitchen. One-room studio apartment with a kitchen that is usually separated from the other room by a wall. Usually between 13-sqm and 25-sqm of floor space.
- 1DK = D stands for dining, K stands for kitchen. Two-room apartment with a kitchen and dining space that is separated from the other room. Usually between 25-sqm and 30-sqm of floor space.
- 1LDK = L stands for living, D stands for dining, K stands for kitchen. One-bedroom apartment with a living/dining room and a kitchen separate from the living/dining area. Usually between 23-sqm and 35-sqm of floor space.
- 2LDK = Two-bedroom apartment with a living/dining room and a kitchen separate from the living/dining area. Usually between 40-sqm and 80-sqm of floor space but can be bigger in the case of higher-end apartments.
- 3LDK = Three-bedroom apartment with a living/dining room and a kitchen separate from the living/dining area. Usually at least 70-sqm of living space but can be bigger in the case of higher-end apartments.
- 4LDK = Four-bedroom apartment with a living/dining room and a kitchen separate from the living/dining area from the living/dining area.
AVERAGE MONTHLY RENT IN SAPPORO BY WARD AND BY LAYOUT IN JPY
Source: National Association of Real Estate Transaction Associations (全国宅地建物取業協会連合会), October 2021 Data
Please click on the ward name to see properties currently available for rent in this ward.
If you need assistance renting an apartment in Sapporo:
- Leopalace 21
- Japan Property Management Center Co. Ltd.
- Matsuri Technologies
- Village House Management Co. Ltd.
If you need assistance buying or selling property in Sapporo:
If you are looking to buy or sell property in Hokkaido, these agents and property managers may be able to assist you:
- Gran Asset Management Co. Ltd.
- SOLID Real Estate K.K.
- Sumitomo Real Estate Sales
- Tokyu Resort Corporation
- Yokohama Home
If you are looking for an apartment in Japan (whether you’re applying from overseas or are already in-country), check out the GaijinPot Housing Service. With the GaijinPot Housing Service, you:
- Can choose from 3,000+ properties throughout Japan.
- Don’t need a guarantor.
- Can apply from overseas.
- Pay all your upfront costs and monthly costs with a credit card.
- Receive full English service, from the room view, to application, to post-move-in support.
You may also be interested in
More good things to know
- What is the average rent in Tokyo?
- What is the average rent in Yokohama?
- What is the average rent in Chiba?
- What is the average rent in Saitama?
- What is the average rent in Machida?
- What is the average rent in Hachioji?
- What is the average rent in Mitaka?
- What is the average rent in Osaka?
- What is the average rent in Kyoto?
National Association of Real Estate Transaction Associations (全国宅地建物取業協会連合会), October 2021
Lead photo: Odori Park, Sapporo via iStock 152631340